EcoADD addresses the Greening Business Priority of the Eco Innovation Action Plan in being the first application of a unique bio-based material – Curran®. This material is a green sustainable additive offering distinct advantages when substituted for competing products in terms of environmental impact (through the use of up to 5 less chemicals during manufacture) compared to the main competitors which are cellulose ethers and with improved performance characteristics. EcoADD also substitutes at a further level in the greening of the production process by increasing the use of secondary raw materials through CelluComp’s patented bioprocess utilising waste streams. Curran® can be used as a multi-functional additive which acts as a strengthener and rheology modifier in water based systems which include paints & coatings, concrete and drilling fluids, cosmetics, household products and also as a primary component for the manufacture of bio-composites. EcoADD will prove the replication of the process in building the first commercial plant thereby overcoming the main barrier to entering the markets by supplying sufficient volumes for market entry of the product into EU paints&coatings and concrete market(s)
The key outcomes from the project are
- Curran® production process has been scaled up and a manufacturing facility built in Scotland.
- The First delivery of Curran® into EU paints&coatings and concrete market(s) has been achieved.
- LCA analysis to verify environmental benefits for process and product, (i.e no VOC, reduction in chemical use) has been carried out. Analysis of 2 formulations one with Curran® and one without Curran® showed that the formulation containing Curran® had lower results for all the impact categories.
- 10 new jobs created during the project
- Curran® has been shown to have benefits in other application areas such as in the paper industry. Where a small addition of Curran® can give significant improvements in mechanical properties.
- The potential accessible market is estimated at €23bn.